Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pastor Blaine Albright's post--Where's Shelly?


Shelly
We arrived at All-in-One village on a Saturday morning and all I could wonder was whether I’d get to meet “Shelly,” the girl on the side of our fridge, the girl my boys prayed for every night and called “their sister.” There would be no mistaking her smile. Or those eyes! As we piled out of the van, each of us was claimed by a couple of children. As one grabbed my hand, I engaged, but I also kept my eyes peeled for Shelly.

We played soccer, I attempted Creole, and all the while I wondered where Shelly might be. Finally, I approached Yanick Kesnel, Pastor Joseph’s wife and asked where Shelly was. Yanick paused for a moment and I couldn’t read her facial expression. A flood of possibilities flooded my mind: Was she affected by last year’s cholera outbreak? Had the malnutrition been too much to overcome?

Thankfully, that split second of anxiety was quickly relieved by Yanicks’s smile, pained though it was.  I recognize it now as the same smile my Mom gives me every time we leave South Florida to come back to Tampa. There is pain because she wants to be with her kids and grandkids. But more, there is pride in that I am doing what God has called me to do. I could see that same pride that in Yanick’s eyes, that Shelly is where she’s supposed to be.

Yanick began telling me about Shelly. I would be lying if I said that my eyes stayed dry
(a common experience for the team—the men blamed the watering of eyes on “Haitian dust”).  
It turns out that Shelly was not an orphan, in the sense that both of her parents had died. She was an “orphan of necessity.”Her mother and father split up years ago. Shelly’s biological mother was terribly abusive towards her. Pastor Joseph and Yanick welcomed Shelly into All-in-One, likely saving her life. A couple of months before our trip, Shelly’s mother died. Shelly’s biological father was apparently unaware that she had been at All-In-One, as he had been sending his ex-wife money regularly. When Shelly’s father learned of her mother’s death and Shelly’s apparent whereabouts, he came to retrieve her and take her back home to live with him in the Dominican Republic.

As Yanick described the reunion between father and daughter, I began joyfully (and tearfully) laughing.

Madame Yanick Kesnel and Blaine, with the children


Later that afternoon, I visited Yanicks’s office for some paperwork and noticed a framed picture of Shelly on her desk, another indicator of their special connection. When I asked her about it, I gained even more pride for Shelly (unreasonable, I realize) as she described Shelly, with a pained smile, as brilliant and sweet, as the girl that lights up every room. She paused and whispered how it’s hard to bond with every child because there’s just so much pain in their stories, and so much pain in losing them, even when they’re “happy endings,” as in Shelly’s case. There was a lot of “Haitian dust” in that room.

 Shelly is now with her father in the Dominican Republic and this is, without a doubt, what is best for her. I am so thankful for the role that my family got to play in her story. I am thankful for Pastor Joseph, Yanick Kesnel, and everyone at All-In-One village. God is using that community (and our community) in ways that I didn’t even know. When I arrived home to Tampa, I shared the exciting news about Shelly’s story with my boys. The smiles on their faces to hear that “their sister” was with her dad…true joy! We still pray for her, but we also have new “brothers and sisters” that our partnership with All-In-One makes possible.  And many of their stories are just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment